I love brass. Brass is made to last forever. Well, it will last at least beyond the lifespan of the average human in 2018. It is impervious to weather, salt-water, looks good as trim, and goes with anything. I even bought a pen that is brass. Assuming I buy ink refills, this means I never have to buy a pen again.
That is the micro-example for this entire post: buying a thing and then never have to buy a newer version of the thing again..
I can think of about 10 things that, if you make the right choice when purchasing, you never have to buy again. You may have to repair or buy parts for, but you will never have to buy the full item again.
- Toothbrush. I’ve had the same electric toothbrush for 10 years. No, that is not disgusting! I buy different heads for it periodically, but the charger still works really well, and I have no plans to buy anything else.
- Wallet. I have a Field Notes Leather wallet that holds my notebook, pen, passport, and credit cards. It will definitely outlast me.
- Storage Trunk. Still searching.
- Backpack. Still searching.
- Suitcase. Still searching.
- Briefcase. Saddleback Leather Front Pocket Briefcase 100 year warranty!
- Boots. Still searching.
- Shoes. Spend $200 to $700 on a nice pair of shoes and just re-sole them. You will never have to worry about shoes ever again.
- Pens. I have this Kaweco Sport Pocket Pen. I never have to buy another again.
- Watch. Still searching.